Skip to content

Farm Insurance

Why do you need Farm Insurance?

Having the right insurance in place for your farm is crucial. Farm insurance in Australia offers a comprehensive range of coverages tailored to address the unique risks associated with agricultural operations. With different climates and ways of farming, there are many things that can go wrong. Problems like droughts, floods, fires, and storms can cause big money losses for farmers. Farm insurance helps protect important things like buildings, machines, animals, and crops from harm, theft, or sickness. It’s especially important when unexpected weather or pests damage crops. Different types of farming, like grain growing in Western Australia or cattle raising in Queensland, need their own special insurance.

Farms can also run into legal problems if someone gets hurt, something gets damaged, or if they can’t operate as usual. Insurance helps cover these issues and any lost money. If farms have employees, they need insurance to cover any work-related injuries. Farm insurance also helps farmers with their money, especially in tough times, to keep their business going. Sometimes, certain markets or contracts need specific insurance. Overall, farming has many uncertainties, so insurance helps farmers feel secure and lets them focus on their main job.

Who needs Farm Insurance?

  1. Farm Owners: Anyone who owns and operates a farm, regardless of its size, should consider farm insurance to protect their assets, investments, and operations against unforeseen risks.

  2. Tenant Farmers: Those who rent or lease land to cultivate crops or raise livestock might not own the land, but they have assets and operations at risk.

  3. Livestock Producers: Whether it’s cattle, sheep, poultry, or other livestock, producers need coverage against potential threats like diseases, accidents, and theft.

  4. Crop Farmers: Those who grow crops, be it grains, fruits, or vegetables, require insurance to safeguard against losses due to weather events, pests, or diseases.

  5. Vineyard Owners: Given the growth of the wine industry in areas like South Australia and Western Australia, vineyard owners need coverage against factors that can impact grape production.

  1. Agri-tourism Operators: Farms that offer tours, accommodations, or other tourist activities need specific coverages that address the potential risks associated with visitors.

  2. Horticulturists: Those involved in growing plants, flowers, or trees for sale might require insurance coverage for their nurseries or greenhouses.

  3. Aquaculture Operators: Producers who farm fish, shellfish, or aquatic plants in controlled environments have specific risks that can be addressed through tailored insurance policies.

  4. Agricultural Contractors: Individuals or businesses providing agricultural services like shearing, spraying, or machinery hire might require insurance for their equipment, operations, and potential liabilities.

  5. Farm Workers: While they might not purchase farm insurance directly, farm workers should be aware of the insurance protections in place (like workers’ compensation) in case of work-related injuries or illnesses.

What can Farm Insurance cover?

  • Property Insurance: This covers farm buildings, dwellings, and other structures against damage or loss due to events like fire, storms, theft, or vandalism.

  • Contents Insurance: Protects the contents within farm buildings, including machinery, tools, and equipment, against similar risks.

  • Livestock Insurance: Provides coverage for animals in case of accidents, diseases, theft, or other risks. It can be specific (for high-value animals) or broad (covering the entire herd).

  • Crop Insurance: Protects farmers against financial losses due to damage to crops caused by hail, fire, or other specified events. Some policies also cover losses due to reduced yields.

  • Machinery Breakdown: Covers repair or replacement costs if essential machinery or equipment breaks down.

  • Farm Interruption: Compensates for lost income resulting from an insurable event that disrupts regular farming operations.

  • Farm Liability: Protects against legal liabilities that can arise from farm operations, such as injuries to visitors or damage to neighboring properties.
  • Goods in Transit: Covers loss of or damage to goods (like produce or livestock) while being transported.

  • Farm Motor: Provides coverage for farm vehicles, including tractors, harvesters, and utility vehicles, against accidents, theft, and other damages.
  • Workers’ Compensation: Mandatory for farms with employees, this covers medical expenses and lost wages if a worker gets injured or sick due to work.

  • Personal Accident and Illness: Offers a payout if the farmer (or a specified individual) is unable to work due to an accident or illness.

  • Agri-tourism Insurance: For farms that have diversified into tourism, this covers risks associated with activities like farm stays, tours, or events.

  • Environmental Liability: This is becoming more prevalent, covering clean-up costs and legal fees associated with accidental pollution or environmental damage.

  • Theft: Provides coverage against theft of farm property, machinery, equipment, livestock, or produce.

  • Fencing: Covers damage to or loss of fencing on the property.

Request a quote for your Farm Insurance needs today:

Ausure Insurance Brokers - Farm Quote Request

You can upload a copy of your most recent policy schedule below, which will save time and help us understand what type of insurance you need. 

Get a Quote

Prefer to speak with someone? Give us a call on 1300 587 225. 

Request a Call Back

Simply enter your details below, and we’ll give you a call right back!